If you design with WordPress, then you definitely have ‘how to install WordPress plugins’ as part of your ‘to do’ lists. Plugins in WordPress add functionality to your site and they simplify the way your website or blog interacts with the users. They are an essential to every WordPress site and we will be taking a look at some ways which we can install them.
It is important to note that if you are hosting your site on wordpress.com. Then you will be limited as to what you can do with plugins and you wouldn’t be able to install as many as you would want but if your site is self-hosted, let’s ride on.
HOW TO INSTALL WORDPRESS PLUGINS
Method 1 – Install a Plugin using WordPress Plugin Search
This method is as easy as the other which we will talk about but this is used if you do not have the plugin already downloaded to your hard drive.
1. To install WordPress plugin using this method, while on the WordPress dashboard, navigate to plugins and then click on ‘Add New’
2. Your screen may be slightly different depending on what version of WordPress you are using but they are all close in terms of look.
You will see the search bar at the top right hand side of the screen and this is where you enter the keyword of the plugin you are looking to install.
3. When you have typed that in, you will see available plugins matching the keywords you typed and you get to click the ‘Install Now’ button beside the most suitable one.
4. The plugin is downloaded and installed for you.In the above screenshot, you get to activate your plugin and you are good to go.
Method 2 – Install a Plugin using the WordPress Admin Plugin Upload
This method is used when you already have the plugin you want to install downloaded to your local storage.
1. First off, from your WordPress admin dashboard as with the earlier method of WordPress install plugin, click on plugins and select add new.
2. The difference here is that you do not hit the search bar, rather to click on ‘Upload plugin’ at the top of the screen.
This will bring you to another page where you will get to browse through your hard drive for the .zip file which contains the plugin you want to install.
3. After the plugin has been uploaded into WordPress, click install now and wait a few seconds which the file is unzipped and installed into WordPress.
Then comes the easy part – where you click ‘activate plugin’ and begin using your plugin.
There you have it, two methods by which you can install plugins to WordPress. Like earlier stated, they are not complex and within minutes, whatever plugin you are looking to start using to improve your blog or website is available to you.